My New Car

It may be hard to believe but I haven't bought a car in about 7 years.  The last purchase was a 2001 Subaru Outback which I paid for outright with money I inherited after my grandmother's death in 2006.  With the exception of a head gasket repair, for which Subarus are notorious, it has been a tough and reliabe vehicle.  Purchased with 107,000 miles, it now boasts 222,000.  Since my son needs a car at college, we will be selling it to him, knowing that it will be a good dependable first purchase.  Now I am the proud owner of a 2004 Honda Accord Sedan LX. Well, I will be later today once the loan is approved and I claim the vehicle from the dealer. My wife and I researched this to death and we narrowed the field down considerablly before settling on this model.  Basically we crossed off most, if not all, domestics.  Toyotas, Hondas, and other similar makes seem to have the best track record overall in terms of dependability and longevity.   Although it has 110,000 miles, Hondas are known often to exceed 300,000 miles or more, so I know I've got this car for a while.  I could have gone smaller, but as a middle-aged man I enjoy a little comfort now, especially on longer trips.  The Accord is techically a mid-sized sedan, larger than the smaller Civic.  I also bought from an established dealer, which while I realize may have meant I paid more upfront, it also gave me more assurance that the car I purchased was in good mechancial condition. It also gave me instant access to CARFAX information, which is becoming, I suspect, an industry standard for establshed car dealers.  It's a clean and well-maintained vehicle with one prior owner and no previous accidents or problems.  Nothing fancy, to be sure, as the picture shows.  But I've never been flashy.  I just want dependability and comfort.  [Note: While I was posting the dealership called to inform me my loan was approaved and we can claim the car, which we will this afternoon.  Hooray!]  For the 'techies' who might be interested it has a 2.4L DOHC MPFI 16-valve i-VTEC I4 engine.  I've read up a bit, however, I'm still glazing over.  I guess I don't care as long as the thing works.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Roots of the Warham Guild Hood

The Firefighter's Cross

KFUO-FM Sale: Editorial from Board of Directors